Introduction to Trusses – Online student led:
Scope: This student led course is an introduction to trussed rafters for beginners in the truss industry. It is structured for self paced learning to suit both designers and estimators and is a prerequisite to the MiTek Pamir roof level one course. A summary test is used to gauge knowledge, understanding and ability to use the points covered.
Delivery: Self teach, using screen presentation materials and documentation that will be provided via a download link following enrolment.
- Introduction and objectives
- Basic roof construction principles
- What is a truss? – Understanding the product
- The advantages and applications of trussed rafters
- Basic truss design principals and terminology
- Practical limits and required information
- General overview of the EC5 truss design code
- Stress types and deflection
- Truss loading types, load cases and combinations
- Timber and plate design including splices.
- Bracing considerations and stress reversal
- Trigonometry refresher
- Understanding roof features
- Practical roof framing
- Roof scheduling
- Practical roofing considerations and common problems
- Project steps and design responsibility
- Reading working drawings
- The designers’ checklist for processing a job from enquiry to order
- Course summary
- Summary assessment for certification